Here at TTS, we will travel far and wide to try the best of the best when it comes to food. We will never discriminate against distance, because just like a LDR, distance makes the heart grow fonder. For today’s Inside The Dish, we traveled all the way to the 305 (aka Miami), where we got to hang with the chefs from Market At Edition to get the recipe of their drool-worthy pasta dish that will instantly put your Italian grandmother’s cooking to shame (sorry, grandma).
Market At Edition is an exquisite Miami Beach restaurant that produces an array of international delectables like pizza, charcuterie, and smoothies. Dine by the palm trees as you overlook Collins Avenue, sipping on a glass of wine while you enjoy their Italian-inspired dishes. That’s where our new best friend comes into play. The Rigatoni with Meatballs and Smoked Chili Tomato Ragu (try saying that five-times fast) is ultimately your favorite childhood dish that is now all grown up. Pork and veal shoulder meatballs are coated in a creamy smoked chili tomato sauce. Toss in a handful of rigate pasta and you will be singing Italian songs all night long. It’s smokey with a hint of sweetness while the meatballs adds a nice crunch into the mix. If you’re still thinking about booking that trip to Miami, this pasta should be one of the reasons why you do it (minus the beaches, of course).
Rigatoni with Meatballs and Smoked Chili Tomato Ragu
For the basic tomato sauce:
2 tsp. garlic, minced
3 Tbs. g evo
1 pinch salt
5 basil sprigs
¼ cup sweet onions, small dice
2 ½ cups san marzano plum tomatoes, crushed
For the Smoked Chili Tomato sauce:
1 batch basic tomato sauce
1 tsp. chipotle in adobe puree
1 tsp. molasses
½ Tbs. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. liquid mesquite smoked
For the meatballs:
2 lbs. pork shoulder
2 lbs. veal, shoulder
1 lb. fat back
2 cups of sour dough, crust removed, med dice
1 ¾ cups milk
1 Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. parsley chiffonade
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated on a microplane
2 ea egg beaten
For the crumbs:
Non-rye sourdough bread, crust removed, pushed through the large holes of a box grater
Extra Virgin Olive Oil as needed
To serve – 4 portions
1 box rigate pasta
1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
16 each meatballs 2 oz. each
2 ½ cups Smoked Tomato Sauce
2 Tbs. crumbs
Create the sauce
1. In a rondeau, combine olive oil and garlic and cook until garlic is soft and sweet.
2. Add onions and salt and cook on medium heat, covered until onions are completely soft.
3. Add tomato and bring to a simmer.
4. Let simmer for 3 minutes then break the basil and stir into the sauce.
5. Season with salt and reserve
6. Combine all and mix well, season with salt
Make The Meatballs
1. Grind pork shoulder, veal, shoulder, fat back together using a medium small die, twice.
2. Soak the sourdough in the milk for 5 min then gently mix everything with the ground meat.
Make The Crumbs
1. Sauté sourdough bread in hot olive oil until golden, blot well and season with salt and pepper.
To serve (4 portions)
1. In a sauté pan sear meatballs in evo until well caramelized.
2. Add sauce and bring to a simmer.
3. Cook in the oven until the meatballs are just cooked through.
4. Cook pasta until almost cooked.
5. Spoon meatballs onto a hot plate.
6. Add pasta to sauce and cook until pasta is just tender.
7. Spoon over and around meatballs.
8. Finish with parmesan and black pepper.
If you live in the Sunshine state and need another reason to eat by the beach, make sure you check out Market At Edition located at 2901 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida, and order this one-of-a-kind pasta dish before it’s too late.
Photography by Leslie Kirchhoff